Intern (Part-Time, Paid)
The Center for Data Innovation, a research institute affiliated with the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), is seeking a part-time intern (15-20 hours per week). The ideal applicant should have a background in technology and public policy, as well as exceptional writing skills. Individuals with a strong interest in public policy issues related to artificial intelligence, open data, and the Internet of Things, are especially encouraged to apply. This position will be based in Washington, DC and will report to the Center’s director.
Please note that due to uncertainties about the ongoing coronavirus threat, applicants must have their own computer, a broadband Internet connection, and a safe and appropriate place to telework.
- Track important news and legislation related to data-driven innovation.
- Write clear and concise summaries of select news articles each week for website.
- Identify and summarize new data sets and data visualizations each week for website.
- Post and schedule content for website.
- Post and schedule content for social media.
- Draft and edit weekly newsletter.
- Provide research support (e.g., collecting and analyzing data, checking sources, writing citations, preparing presentations, transcribing interviews, etc.).
- Attend and summarize hearings and events and track legislation and regulations.
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in public policy, economics, political science, statistics, information science, computer science, or a related field.
- Demonstrated interest in technology and public policy.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent research, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Experience designing presentations and copyediting publications.
- Proactive and flexible, with an ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
To apply for this position, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter stating your specific interest and qualifications for the position (1 page, max). Resumes submitted without a tailored cover letter will not be considered;
- Resume (1 page, max); and
- Writing sample, preferably on a topic related to tech policy (2-3 pages max).
Applications will be considered until the position is filled (last updated July 7, 2020).