Published on February 29th, 2016 | by Daniel Castro
Seizing Europe’s Data Innovation Opportunity
The rapidly growing data economy presents an enormous opportunity for Europe to increase productivity and competitiveness. Public sector institutions alone could save more than €100 billion annually from increased use of data. Moreover, data-driven innovation will likely play a key role in addressing a wide array of the most important challenges facing Europe, from supporting an ageing population to improving domestic security to combating human trafficking.
While the data revolution is poised to unlock enormous economic value, create new opportunities for scientific discovery, and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of Europeans, these advancements will only be possible if Europe embraces policies to support innovation in the data economy. In some areas, such as public commitments to building smart cities and adoption of open data policies, European nations are in the vanguard. However, other areas need more work.
Join the Center for Data Innovation at the inaugural event for its Brussels office where it will host a thoughtful discussion about the future of data policy in Europe, including opportunities to build and expand on successes to increase the use of data throughout the public and private sector. The event will be followed by a reception.
Date and Time:
- Monday, February 29, 2016 from 14:00 – 18:00 (CET)
- Résidence Palace International Press Center, Polak Room, 155, rue de la Loi – Blok C, 1040 Brussels
- Liam Benham, Vice President of Government Affairs, IBM
- Michał Boni, Member of the European Parliament
- Beatrice Covassi, Deputy Head for the Data Value Chain Unit, European Commission
- Alexander De Croo, Deputy Prime Minister of Belgium and Minister of Development Cooperation, Digital Agenda, Telecom, and Postal Services
- John Higgins, Director General, DIGITALEUROPE
- Kaja Kallas, Member of the European Parliament
- Lenard Koschwitz, Director of European Affairs, Allied for Startups
- Paul MacDonnell, Head of European Policy, Center for Data Innovation
- Catriona Meehan, Director of EU Policy and Government Relations, Application Developers Alliance
- Victor Negrescu, Member of the European Parliament
- Damir Tomicic, Chief Executive Officer, Axinom Group
- Philippe Van Impe, Founder, European Data Innovation Hub